Keeping your pets safe in the garden
For many of us, having a garden full of beautiful plants and flowers is one of the joys of summer. While great for us and the local wildlife, many of these can be harmful to our pets. If you’re not sure if your garden is dog and cat safe, it’s always worth checking- especially if you have a pet that likes to eat everything (yes you, Beagles and Labradors!)
Here are a few symptoms of poisoning to look out for. Remember, these may be mild or severe, but it’s always worth a vet trip. Some plants- especially true for fungi- can be easily confused with a less toxic counterpart. React quickly to give your pet the best chance of recovery and never take the risk.
What to look for…
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Excessive drooling
- Abnormal breathing or panting
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Weakness or lethargy
- Increased thirst
- Blood in stools or vomit
We’ve found comprehensive lists of plants you’ll want to avoid from the PDSA and Cats Protection League (see links below) but here are a few of the most common
What to avoid…
- Geraniums (all parts)
- Lilies (Flowers, leaves, pollen- especially toxic to cats.)
- Rhubarb (leaves)
- Potato (leaves can be toxic, as can raw or sprouting potatoes)
- Tomato (leaves and unripe fruit)
So what plants should you have?
What to plant…
- Cat grass & catmint
- Herbs- Thyme, Parsley, Rosemary, Basil, Sage
Good to know…
Local 24 hour animals hospitals. Call before/ as you leave home so the team can prepare for your arrival and advise you.
Arun Vet Group- Storrington- 01903 746028
North Street Library car park
Grove Lodge Vets- Worthing- 01903 234866
18 Upper Brighton Road
Animal Poison Line (APL) 24 hour triage service run by the UK’s only animal poison centre
The team consists of vets, nurses, scientists, and toxicologists, and they will be able to advise you whether to expect symptoms and whether your pet needs to see a vet after eating a suspected poisonous substance.
01202 509000 – calls cost £35- £45 per case